Tuesday, April 12, 2016

So what is this all about?

      Hello Everyone, and welcome to my blog. My goal here is to show everyone that defending yourself is important. I decided to do self-defense because I've been involved with self-defense since 2005. If you have low confidence, if you have a lot of energy built up, or even if you wanna take out some stress, self-defense is definitely the way to go. I've been studying the art of Kenpo Karate, Kick boxing, & Grappling. So while I'm on this journey I'd like to share it with you.
       I'm mostly working with Karate. On April 2nd, I took my Green Belt test, which is four belts away from my main goal, A black belt. The best test was about four hours long, which was crazy. During the test my friends and I were expected to go over all of the techniques that we previously learned, the forms we previously learned, the basics we previously learned and all of our new material.
     My master says that Basics are the whole base of Karate. (of course) Basics teach you the most important things, like your stances... For example the fighting stance, also known as the ready position. There are all sorts of finger techniques, strikes and different punches and kicks.Techniques are very important, they are the main moves. There are 10 techniques in your first belt list, but from there on there are 16 in each list, and they are not easy to learn. There are all sorts of inserts, hidden moves, ect.
          Forms are a collision of techniques and moves put together. There are tournaments that my team and I attend. Where we perform the art and try to place. In competitions, there is open forms, Kata (Forms), and Kumite (Sparring). The way sparring works is by rank. So when they line me up to fight, they look for experience and place me in the advanced division. It wouldn't be fair if they lined me up with a yellow belt who has only been in fighting for a year. The rounds are 3:15 long. We are required to wear gear. Head gear, Hand gear, Foot gear, and a mouth guard. But in the dojo we train without it with my trainer Nic.
     I'm planning on taking my next belt test (for brown belt) in September. Which is complex goal that is going to be hard to achieve. But with the hard work that I put into Karate, I'm expecting to get it.

8 comments:

  1. WOW!!! COOL IDEA!!! When you said you knew grappling what art did you learn for that? Or was that part of Kenpo? Also will you be teaching about weapons like Kenpo staff form as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My trainer, Nic teaches a lot of different things outside of our kenpo classes. He'll teach us grappling one day and mma the next. And I can tell you about my experience with staff but im still working on my staff set.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea for a project so much! Self-defense is so important. I hope you can inspire your readers to pursue it as well. Is there any cost involved? How much will your be training? Who will be your mentor? Great job on your blog BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, April. And yes the classes do have a cost but i will have look more into that. My mentor will be my Dojo instructor, Mr. Myrtle.

      Delete
  3. Dear Ninja Chloe,
    Don't forget about little old ladies who have confidence but little muscle tone! This is definitely a project worth pursuing and I am glad you are doing it. Although I REALLY like your font (it's a kick, haha), It is a little difficult to read on the black background. Still you have given your blog lots of style, and I sure like that! Of course, my eyes ore "old", so don't go by me. Nice job, young lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Mrs.Garrison. Sorry about the font, I feel as if it fits my style. :)

      Delete
  4. Great project topic! I enjoyed and agreed with everything you said. The only question I have is how do you take your stress out on someone using only self-defense? Do you mess with someone until they throw the first punch so you can claim you only used self-defense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, in kenpo we pray to never hurt anybody. Our art is very serious and if used to its full potential it will seriously injure someone. What you need to do is get to a bag and start practicing your punches, i find that is a good way to get my anger out. Also, sparring is very fun you get to fight the other people in the class and it may sound easy but everybody has been training for a fight so. :)

      Delete

It has been a while.

Hey everyone, I doubt that anyone even is paying attention to these anymore but I stumbled across my old blog and remembered that I had said...